Something occurred to me today, though. Palin's a hardcore Christian, and maybe that faith, if she can tap into an openness and understanding of what she has in common with Muslim believers, will help us shift the way we interact with that part of the world. I understand completely that the Arab world is not just about Islam, that sectarianism and resources and emotions and history all play a part in where we are now. But a respect for people of faith, which it seems like the intellectual elite of this country doesn't have, may help us broker a new language and dialogue.
Maybe this is me grasping on to my last hopes. Maybe this is me imagining (fantasizing?) about what I would like to do if I were Palin/McCain/Obama... (I'm not going to pretend that I would care about being Joe Biden at all, let's be real.)
I cannot help but think of this article written by a professor at the Georgetown School of Foreign Service satellite branch in Qatar.
...It was the fall of 2004, and our conversation quickly turned to the presidential campaign. My friend argued that Sen. John F. Kerry's reluctance to talk about his own faith was a good thing, showing that the candidate understood that faith has no place in politics or public policy.
Out of the blue, a question occurred to me: "Other than me, do you have any friends or professional colleagues of any religion who attend services every week?" He was quiet for a long, thoughtful minute. "Not that I know of," he replied.
I have thought about that conversation for a long time. It has helped me understand what hobbles American higher education when it comes to educating people for careers in international affairs. It's not that we don't know about religion; it's that we don't understand faith and its life-shaping power.
The majority of people I know in higher education would argue that there is nothing wrong with religion for people who feel they need it. Their sentiments come down to something like this: "You have your religious convictions, I have mine. Let's acknowledge our differences and agree to disagree with one another within the confines of polite debate." That makes sense, of course, but it is not enough to prepare a new generation of diplomats who will be asked to engage the Muslim world in the decades to come.
This template for discussing religion and faith is fundamentally flawed. It presumes that different groups of faithful people approach their religions in the same way football fans approach their favorite teams: I cheer passionately for mine, you cheer passionately for yours, and we all agree to play by the rules and exhibit good sportsmanship. For people of faith, religion isn't like that. A person of Muslim faith and a person of Christian faith engaged in honest conversation about religion are not like two fans pulling for their respective teams. They are more like two men in love with the same woman, each trying to express, safeguard and be faithful to his relationship with his beloved. Love brings with it complexities that football does not.The simple fact of the matter is that most of the world lives with a deep abiding faith or at the very least is heavily influenced by it, unlike the mostly secularized Western world. It seems like most West Coasters I meet--I'm just going to use them because it is the group I have the most experience with--cannot fathom how anyone believes that mumbo-jumbo anymore, and that they should shut it off when they enter the public sphere to talk about what we should do with the problems of society. I paraphrase Megan McArdle (I can't find her post about it, sorry): If you have a strong personal faith in something, why would you set that aside at the door?
I realize that I have a very different sense of how my religion and my rationalism work together than do most practicing Christians, so maybe I am exceptional in that I think that science and religion don't cancel each other out, necessarily. It is well-documented that I don't practice any faith currently, and even when I did it was fairly half-assed. I think, however, that my father's attention to personal development and steadfast belief in more--I can't call it more than that, for fear of not getting his beliefs right--help me develop, at the very least, a sense of appreciation for those who live their lives committed to faith. In mocking and ridiculing belief, we lose a language for how to talk respectfully to people who are different than we are on this particular matter. And people in the developing world aren't going to lose their faith overnight, or even over a generation. The staying power of monotheism is fairly well proven, and we are going to work with people to whom God is extremely influential. I hope that we have not lost our ability, as a society, to connect with people who do not share our secularism.
4 comments:
There's an interesting passage in "Violence" by Zizek (yeah) about how "respect" is really a horrible thing:
"The language of respect is the language of liberal tolerance: respect only has meaning as respect for those whom I do not agree. When offended Muslims demand tolerance for their otherness, they are accepting the frame of the liberal-tolerant discourse. On the other hand, blasphemy is not only an attitude of hatred, of trying to hit the other where it hurts most, which is at the fundemental core of his belief. Blasphemy is, in the strict sense, a religious problem: it only works within the contours of a religious space.
What lurks at the horizon if we avoid this path is the nightmarish prospect of a society regulated by a perverse pact between religious fundamentalists and the politically correct preachers of tolerance and respect for the other's beliefs: a society immobilized by the concern for not hurting the other...
When I visited the University of Champaign in Illinois, I was taken to a restaurant where the menu offered Tuscany fries. When I asked friends about this this they explained that the owner wanted to appear patriotic apropos the French opposition to the US attack on Iraq, so he followed the US Congress and renamed French fries "freedom fries." however, the progressive members of the faculty (the majority of his customers) threatened to boycott his place if freedom fries remained on the menu. The owner didn't want to lose his customers, but still wanted to appear patriotic, so he invented a new name, "Tuscany fries."
In a move similar to that of the US Congress, Iranian authorities ordered bakeries to change the name "Danish pastry" to "rose of Muhammad." It would be nice to live in a world where the US Congress would change the name of French fries to Muhammad fries, and the Iranian authorities transform Danish pastries into roses of freedom. But the prospect of tolerance makes one imagine that our store and restaurant menus will fill up with versions of Tuscany Fries."
I don't agree with everything Zizek says; he's too harsh on religion, too harsh on Israel, too socialist. I am, however, forced to agree with him when he speaks of mindless tolerance as an act of separative violence. I don't like the world where people get so caught up in what they believe in that they have to keep people who believe otherwise at arm's length.
This bites me personally all the time and it bites humanity as well. I don't believe in acts of literal physical violence towards those who disagree with me, but I do believe that the greatest act of love is to be utterly honest about my thoughts. To put it simply: people have to be able to tell each other that they think someone is wrong. "Agree to disagree" means that we're not talking any more.
(I could go on for a bit here about the small-minded "atheist" who believes in "science" but is hopelessly lost about any real science. There is a large contingent of people who believe in science as it was during, say, the 1970s, but if you tell them about modern cosmological theories, will act like you're crazy. Additionaly, there's something hilarious about the sensation that "atheists" will talk to you about something like phyletic gradualism when they speak of evolution, but know nothing of any more modern theories such as punctuated equilibrium.)
I don't mean someone has to agree with everything that other people say. It just means you have to listen and not kill me, and it means I have to do the same. By having "respect" for me but not really listening to me, I believe you are committing an equivalent act of hatred as if you had just outright refused to listen.
We're none of us quite right about everything; if you believe in God, you know you cannot approach divine omniscience, and if you do not believe in God, you cannot believe that a single human could possibly have all the answers because there is no authentic source of omniscience.
Of course, I can't even practice this discipline correctly. Who am I to tell anyone else?
All of that said, I'm not excited to vote for a presidential candidate. I don't care for Senator Biden because he's a perennial pursuer of executive office and is hell of generic. Governor Palin does not seem to have any knowledge of anything that I would assume you'd have to know about to be involved in federal politics. Senator McCain is either badly, badly misguided by his election committee or is a very confused man; and despite the early excitement surrounding him, Senator Obama has seemed to turn into the typical generic Democrat, standing for no ethos I can care about.
I'm sure I'll end up voting for Senator Obama in the (vain) hope that he won't be quite so cavalier about foreign policy or the environment or the Constitution. Likewise, I can see myself being disappointed when either man, upon taking office, is no different or better than the men who came before him. I haven't given up quite yet- I was actually excited about a McCain/Obama face-off, but the last few months haven't exactly kept my spirits up.
Maybe I should just commit a felony and then I couldn't vote. Wouldn't it be easier for me then?
One alternative would be to write in a candidate that you believed in. I remember in the 1992 election--or was it '96?--I asked my mother who she voted for and she sheepishly said Jeane Kirkpatrick. The write-in candidate is all we have for a vote blanc, which I desperately wish we had here.
I am, however, forced to agree with him when he speaks of mindless tolerance as an act of separative violence. I don't like the world where people get so caught up in what they believe in that they have to keep people who believe otherwise at arm's length.
I am by no means advocating tolerance of anything and everything. That's like those bumper stickers that say "His mind was so open his brain fell out." I definitely think that some stuff, such as the standard example of female genital mutilation, is wrong, and I am by no means afraid of saying that. But we have got to figure out a way to allow people to come to modernity on their own terms. I do not think that Islam or Hinduism or any religion, really, is completely anathema to modernity.
To put it simply: people have to be able to tell each other that they think someone is wrong. "Agree to disagree" means that we're not talking any more. I agree with this as well. We all need more honesty, and acceptance of that honesty, and to know that we can deal with the consequences, whatever they are. We need this in our political lives and our personal lives.
How is it that I've missed all this... I'm really enjoying reading your views and about your life last year.
Jeff, I miss blogging though of course not that circle of hell that won't be named. Think I might start posting more often once school gets out. I miss having a record and reflection space.
Post a Comment