Monday, May 19, 2008

Do I want to tell the internets I use a ring of plastic in my vagina as birth control?

I guess I just did.

Google launched Google Health today. I think it's a great idea; it makes much more sense for the consumer of health services to be responsible for their own record-keeping. If you switch hospitals, you can inform anyone of your conditions, medications, allergies, etc. I browsed GHealth, and it has the same sensibility and user-friendliness as Gmail, Blogger, GReader, and all the other applications that make me love Google. (I would love to work there. I don't know what I would do, but I would learn a lot and I'd like to think I could contribute some good ideas.)

GHealth, on the other hand, makes me a bit nervous. I've never questioned Google's Privacy Policy before, although I probably should have, given that I have a fair amount of sensitive information stored in my email archives. I read through it just now, and nothing leaped out at me. I am skeptical of claims that people are trying to sell my personal information that I have voluntarily given, but at the same time, I know that it's certainly possible and the incentives are there.

Not unlike Fox Mulder, I want to believe. I want to believe that there are businesses who aren't trying to take advantage of their customers, and I want people not to call me a n00b when I assert that. Which is why Google is so attractive. They say they value transparency. I value transparency. But Mulder, I'm sure, wouldn't trust Google. I'm undecided. Mulder doesn't yet exist in 2008; last thing I heard, he was running away from a government trial with his baby doctor mama.

2 comments:

ibwatson said...

As long as they don't post contextual ads relating to your current ailments next to your list of doctor's visits and such. That would just creep me out.

Ms. Arbitrage said...

They say in the privacy policy that they aren't going to do that.

Honestly, I don't think I even care if my information is out there, as long as it's disassociated with me. I.e. someone couldn't identify kelley dot erin at gmail with my nuvaring use, etc.