Friday, December 18, 2009

1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
Spend an extended amount of time in a foreign (Arab) country, relatively alone; become engaged; win the Golden Apron; spend the night in the hospital; get an IUD; see the Pyramids and Luxor/Karnak, make pretzels and challah.

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
2008 was the Year of Arabic, Grad School and Organization. Arabic was alright, although I feel like I didn't improve my skill much at all this fall. Looking forward to some intensive work over the break. Grad school's been interesting and I'd say I've been successful, but I'm ready to be done--or maybe that's the finals period talking. Organization is a lasting problem. I guess I'll keep it on the list. 2010 will be the year of Career Development, Organization and Wedding.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No.

5. What countries did you visit?
Russia (ha, I'm going to say it counts) and Egypt.

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
I got what I wanted for 2009! Now I'd like a job or an acceptance to business school, a diploma, a relatively stress-free wedding planning process, and a solution to the dog problem(s).

7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
May 13 -- Brandon proposed!
August 1 -- I returned from Egypt.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting through Egypt; finishing my third semester.

9. What was your biggest failure?
I wish that I had done a better job of conducting research in Egypt; I could have gotten a lot more done if I'd made some different choices to structure my situation differently. Time management, generally.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I was depressed over the summer. That was compounded by a serious Gomez altercation upon my return to the States in August. I managed to stay well through the swine flu epidemic.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Canopic jars? My purple Tahari dress?

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Mine.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Anyone involved with healthcare reform. Mine, during the summer. Gomez's.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, tuition, food/alcohol, a moderate amount of new clothes, Egypt souvenirs, the beginnings of wedding stirrings.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My thesis, engagement, dog behavioralist, Brandon moving, Egypt, wedding planning.

16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Ambling Alp, Yeasayer. Bad Romance, Lady Gaga.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Happier.
ii. thinner or fatter? About the same.
iii. richer or poorer? P O O R E R.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Saving. Exercising. Reading. Interviewing. SRBC activities.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Procrastination.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
With my family in Portland.

22. Did you fall in love in 2009?
I continued to be in love.

23. How many one-night stands?
0.

24. What was your favorite TV program?
The Office, Glee, Mad Men, Top Chef. In reverse order.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
One person, but hate's a bit strong. There are a few flareups, though.

26. What was the best book you read?
Fiction: I don't remember reading any fiction worth discussing.
Nonfiction: Islam and Mammon by Timur Kuran; that World Bank report on job creation in the Middle East

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Hercules and Love Affair. Yeasayer.

28. What did you want and get?
An engagement ring. The perfect wedding venue. To go to Egypt.

29. What did you want and not get?
A satisfying Egypt experience.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
I haven't seen Avatar which everyone is supposed to go crazy about. Transformers 2 for the experience of watching it in Egypt and the sheer silliness? Fantastic Mr. Fox did not live up to my expectations, which were indeed high.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
On my birthday I
went to Arabic lessons and got yelled at by the moudir;
got skeeved out by a cab driver;
ate at Chili's in Ma'adi with Chris Rizzi;
and saw Transformers 2.
I turned 26.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not being depressed in Egypt. A door.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Aspiring to achieve the style of Joan Harris (née Holloway).

34. What kept you sane?
My friends, my fiancé, bitching with Melissa over Twitter.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
My attention span for public figures dropped to zero.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Health care reform.

37. Who did you miss?
People who aren't in DC. Brandon. My parents.

38. Who was the best new person you met?
Chris Rizzi.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
It's the time for me to be assertive like whoa.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Ambling Alp, Yeasayer
Now, the world can be an unfair place at times
But your lows will have their complement of highs
And if anyone should cheat you, take advantage of, or beat you
Raise your head and wear your wounds with pride

You must stick up for yourself, son
Never mind what anybody else done

No comments: