1. What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before?
Received a b-school job offer, flew to 2nd round interviews, worked in corporate America, worked in HR, lived in Baltimore, developed a product idea from seed to prototype, got in minor trouble with Israeli security, girls' weekend, put up the first Kelley & Barrett household Christmas tree, went on a honeymoon!
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
2011 was the year of Career Development: Strategic Human Resources, Networking, and Developing My Outsider Perspective 2: Electric Persuasion Bugaloo. I did a lot of research and interview prep for HR, which resulted in a good job offer. Networking went really well, and I believe I've made a significant shift in how I see networking. As in, it's not a burden and can be really interesting. I would say that I've accepted the value of my outsider perspective but I am probably always going to feel less persuasive than I'd like to be.
2012 is the Year of Darden Friendships, Chicago, Entrepreneurship, and Health.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No.
5. What countries did you visit?
Israel, Haiti, & Mexico
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
I got what I wanted for 2011--a job! I would like to develop my friendships with Darden people while we are all still in one place. I would like to develop healthier habits food- and exercise-wise, because that all went to crap over the last semester, and I would like to stop wrestling this. Particularly as I head closing to preparing for conception and pregnancy. (You will note that 2012 is NOT the Year of the Baby, however, so no questions about it, thanks!)
7. What date from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
May 31 - first day at T Rowe Price
Oct 31 - IBM interview
Dec 26 - honeymoon!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Dashboard at TRP, job offer at IBM, 2nd rounds for GE HRLP, food tracker
9. What was your biggest failure?
DEMD.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I've been sick for much of the fall.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My new couch and everything associated with the living room makeover (curtains, paint, rug).
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Mine.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Gomez's. Congress & the president. Kathleen Sibelius regarding the Plan B overruling.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, tuition, food/alcohol, new clothes for my new professional life, travel.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
GE HRLP invitation, TRP internship, IBM offer, Haiti, Mexico, Vegas, Spring Break in the Bay area
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Party Rock Anthem, LMFAO; Calle Ocho, Pitbull
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Happier.
ii. thinner or fatter? Fatter, by roughly 10 lbs. I'm starting Paleo & C25K after the honeymoon.
iii. richer or poorer? Eternally poorer, though next year's assessment I should be able to say richer!.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Exercising. Eating well. Organization.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Procrastination. Caring about unimportant things.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
With my husband in Charlottesville, for the first time! Then leaving for our honeymoon the next day.
22. Did you fall in love in 2011?
I continued to be in love.
23. How many one-night stands?
0.
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Community, Covert Affairs, The Office, Glee, Grey's Anatomy.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No.
26. What was the best book you read?
Fiction: I don't remember reading any fiction worth discussing.
Nonfiction: The book for Systems Design & Business Dynamics
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Frankly, I didn't pay much attention to music this year.
28. What did you want and get?
A great job offer, and the promise of Chicago to look forward to.
29. What did you want and not get?
A position at GE.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
I really liked Hannah and Horrible Bosses. That being said I watched them both recently so they have stuck out in my mind. Harry Potter was good too.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
On my birthday I went to Fogo de Chao for lunch with Brandon on the Inner Harbor in Baltimore.
I turned 28.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More confidence in the job search process, which is easy to wish for once it's over but is difficult to remember during.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Professional while revealing my love for the unique.
34. What kept you sane?
My friends, my fiancé, AskMetaFilter, Kellogg Leliveld.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
My attention span for public figures has remained at zero.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Fiscal/debt crisis. Eurozone, occasionally.
37. Who did you miss?
People in DC & Portland. My parents.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Cathy Plakatoris & assorted Darden friends.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Narrowing things down a bit from past ruminations, my unique contribution will be design consulting / teaching innovation in the Middle East.
What other people think about me does not pay my rent.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Shake It Out, Florence & the Machine
Saturday, December 24, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment